Friday, August 29, 2008

Comic Books? Really? Since when? Aren't you enough of a loser already?



I just thought I would post this entry to give a little backstory before things start getting really nerdy up in here.

Me and my brother used to love collecting comic books and reading them when we were kids. We had boxes full of them and could go into long discussions that most of the time always sprang from a "what if..." type of question. It was a lot of fun and it was the thing me,my brother, and my dad would bond over everytime we would go to the comic book shop about once every 2 weeks.

My brother who is 6 years older than me discovered girls and also discovered that loving comic books hardly ever leads to girls. He grew out of it and through him I grew out of it too for years and years. It just became one of the many fads I bought into when I was a kid.

Years passed and I never even thought about getting back into it until I met a girl who would then become my first girlfriend. On top of being the cutest girl ever, she was also the coolest girl a guy like me could ask for. She had tons of quirks which I fell in love with instantly (its easy to when you are 13/14) and one of her many quirks was that she was really into comic books. She then started getting me into comic books and showing me that there was some amazing stuff out there. She got me to read all of Garth Ennis' Preacher first and I was sold from there.

Long story short - she was forced to move somewhere far. My heart was broken. I stopped reading comic books. High School happened.

So, a couple of weeks ago I was walking through my library when I spotted a graphic novel/comic book section that I had never seen before. I decided to have a look and see what they had and resting on their shelf was a copy of Alan Moore's Watchmen which I have always heard is supposed to be one of the greatest works of fiction ever written (Time Magazine ranks in top 100 greatest american novels ever written) I decided to check it out and finally see what all the fuss was about and holy shit did it live up the hype and much,much, much more.

Ever since having my mind blown by Watchmen I got the urge to check out other comic books and graphic novels that are suppoed to be worth checking out and I am actually having a real blast getting into the whole world. I know its nerdy and I know its geeky but damn it...I'm hooked.

This new found appreciation and hunger for it plus recently becoming friends with a hardcore comic book fan have sent me off into this dark and oh so very nerdy world but damn it...its not like I was ever the coolest kid. I might as well just go all out, right?

Right?

Right?

=(

No comments: